We work with a leading wireless and internet provider in the rural areas of Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, and Wyoming. With over 50 locations and growing, our client has become the wireless and internet provider of choice for many people in regions where cell service and internet coverage were once limited. After working with Bayshore Solutions to develop their new website, they needed a marketing strategy that could drive qualified traffic to their site and convert users into customers.
Understanding The Challenge
Upon our initial audit of their Google Ads account, we noticed quite a few best practices being violated. This is not uncommon to see, simply because of how quickly DSP’s and ad platforms advance, especially Google. Some of the strategies we noticed were:
- One budget was being shared across 121 campaigns.
- All 121 campaigns were “limited by budget” meaning the ads could not show as often as they could be. This hurts impression share and top of page rate which are crucial to getting to the top of page one and having great quality scores to back it up.
- Manual bidding strategies in place, which can be effective in some cases, except when an account has a large amount of click, impression, and conversion data, in which case it is best to leverage automated bidding strategies to let Google do the heavy lifting.
- There were no remarketing campaigns activated and no audiences were populated to re-engage with past visitors of the site to specific pages.
- The default geo-targeting setting was enabled which can potentially show ads to users outside of their service area.
Turning these challenges into wins was no easy task and consolidating 121 campaigns did not make it any easier. However, by going back to the basics and leveraging best practices in today’s SEM landscape we knew exactly what to do to help turn the paid search and display advertising footprint of a leading wireless and internet provider into a massive success.
Building Our Solution in Phases
Due to the number of tasks we planned to tackle, we turned our approach into six separate phases.
Phase 1: Campaign budget
We began reviewing the campaigns to understand which campaigns needed more budget allocated to them. During our review we decided the majority of the spend should go to higher-intent and higher-search volume keywords so ads would trigger on the keywords that were driving conversions.
Phase 2: Search terms and negative keywords
Next, we reviewed search terms and began adding negative keywords for terms we didn’t want the brand to show for. This is one of the most important pieces of a successful paid search campaign. Neglecting negative keywords can cause your account to spend on terms that potentially have nothing to do with the products and services you offer.
Phase 3: Creative relevance
We then looked at current and past click-through rates on ads and determined which headlines pair best with descriptions and display URLs. Performing regular maintenance on ad copy and ensuring that there is a consistently high click-through rate makes all the difference in getting users to the site and helps increase quality scores which lowers your CPC's.
Phase 4: Reducing unnecessary spend
In phase four, we leveraged automated bidding strategies and restricted ads from serving in specific locations. We believe this was the biggest factor in reducing unnecessary spend within the account.
Phase 5: Building new audiences
Next, we began building audiences of users who visit specific pages on the products and services offered. From there, we leveraged the lookalike feature and customer email list uploads to get even more targeted in our campaigns.
Phase 6: New conversion tracking
The last phase of our engagement was to introduce new conversion tracking tactics including store visits and first-time callers to get a better understanding of lead flow on and offline.
The Result: Better Campaign Performance
As a result of leveraging the phased approach and incorporating the basics of best practices mentioned above the results spoke for themselves. Looking at the data from a YoY perspective, we saw a significant increase in clicks, impressions, conversions, and click through rate while reducing the cost per lead, and overall spend.
In just two months from launching the newly refined campaigns our client achieved the following YoY performance metrics:
increase in total interactions
increase in impressions
increase in CTR
increase in conversions
reduction in CPL
reduction in total spend